Monday, May 6, 2019 External Activity
4:00 – 6:00 pm
Maine Foodie Tours - 2 options
EASFAA is generously subsidizing the cost of both of these tours to keep the cost down to
the membership. Please note, the deadline to sign up for the tours is APRIL 15, 2019.
You CANNOT sign up at the conference since the company needs to have the number of
participants ahead of time for food preparation and tour guides.
A Walk Through Time History Tour – Cost $15
A departure from our food and beverage based experiences A Walk Through Time is a history tour some of favorite historic highlights. Prominent citizens and architecture, rum running and the underground railroad, one of our certified PHDs (Portland History Docents) will guide you through some of the significant moments of our past.
- Curious about Portland's history with railroads, fires, wars, famous poets and Hollywood producers? Join us for a walk through time! This tour will begin on Commercial Street (with a bottle of Maine water) and continue for 2 hours through the historic Old Port, downtown and waterfront areas, sharing highlights of Portland's history since 1632.
- Stories and facts are brought to you by trained Portland History Docents (PhD's we like to call them) who will bring history alive as you enjoy this leisurely stroll.
- Some of the locations we may feature on your tour include; the lobster statue, the home of Henry Wadsworth-Longfellow and his place of worship, the Eastern Cemetery, the Abyssinian Church, the U.S. Customs House and more.
- Since we like to end on a sweet note, you will be treated to a dessert at the end.
Culinary Walking Tour – Cost $35
Classic Maine, Maine inspired, cultural, up-and-coming and fancy food are featured. When some folks think 'food tour' they think 'restaurant' but there are so many other creative ways that culinary artisans explore than sit-down dining and we feature a mix of these on our CWT.
- This leisurely-paced walking tour carves a path through the streets of the charming Old Port!
- Our friendly and engaging tour guides will take you to several Old Port venues where you will sample delectable, Maine, Maine-inspired, up-and-coming, culturally based fare and fancy foods!
- You'll meet and greet culinary artisans along the way, learn what inspires them and how they got their start!
- We'll dish about the colorful, social and culinary history unique to the "Port City" we call home.
- Included: All food and beverage tastings, tips to servers, and the expertise of a local foodie tour guide. Tips for your guide are not included but appreciated when you have a great time!
- Itinerary may include some combination of the following:
- Freshly baked mac and cheese accented with Maine lobster
- Fresh picked lobster rolls
- From scratch confections from a hip local bakery
- Cold-pressed nut mylk smoothie
- House made hand pies
- Farmers market sourced soups or a Maine seafood "chowdah"
- Nationally recognized Maine craft beer
- Maine honey wine known as Mead
- Dark chocolate truffles made with Aroostook County potatoes
- Variations occur and there is always a nice selection to be enjoyed.
- Culinary entrepreneurs explore many more directions with their creativity in addition to chef and on this tour you'll experience some of our favorites! This tour showcases the culinary culture comprised of talented food and beverage artisans, from bakers and brewers, to confectioners and more...the spots we locals enjoy visiting all the time. These are highly educational offerings with lots of food and food for thought!
What to Wear
Wear: Comfortable clothing and your walkin' shoes
Please note that there are some cobble stones and brick sidewalks and inclines along the route.